Portland, Oregon was originally known as “The Clearing.” Francis W. Pettygrove of Portland, Maine purchased half the land in 1845. Pettygrove, and his partner Asa Lovejoy (from Boston, Massachusetts), flipped a coin to decide which of their hometowns to name the city. Pettygrove won the coin toss, and named “The Clearing,” Portland.
Please click here to help contribute to this page!
- Alaska Airlines & Horizon Air Portland Jazz Festival
- Portland International Festival
- Tulip Festival
- Oregon Potters Association Ceramic Showcase
- Spring Beer & Wine Festival
- Portland Indie Wine Festival
- Portland Rose Festival
- Race Across Oregon
- Bite of Oregon
- Annual Squishing of the Squash & ‘Howloween’ at the Zoo
- Northwest Film & Video Festival
- Northwest Food & Wine Festival
- Christmas Ships Parade
- Zoo Lights