ConciergeQ Fit Guru: I am being relocated for a month-until I get my bearings how can I stay fit?
You don’t have to pack your gym clothes to be fit! There are opportunities all around you to burn calories wearing stiletto heels or a three-piece suit. It is important to understand the math. To lose one pound we have to scorch 3,500 calories. If you break that up during a one-week period all you need to do is reduce your calories by 250 and expend 250 more than usual and by the end of the week you are a pound thinner! I call it the easy “500 A Day” to play the fit game.
1. Take the stairs every time you see them.
2. Half is enough: Portion sizes are out of control ½ is more than enough!
3. Got Skim? Ditch the flavors, sugar, and whole milk in fancy coffee and save 300 to 400 calories in your am-pm pick me up!
4. Be an accountant! Download a calorie counter and pay attention to the details.
5. Park as far from the building as possible.
6. 2 for 1: Order 2 appetizers instead of one entrée.
7. Break it up. Have regular breaks in the day-move, walk, jump. Just 3 minutes will change everything.
8. Take it out on your kids: A good pillow fight, wrestling or tickle match can alleviate blood pressure, stress and help your reconnect with your family.
9. Stand up and be counted! Stand up on your commute.
10. Power Sweep. Pump up the vacuum and clean your house more often! Wiping organizing, and putting things away creates a sense of calm and power.
11. Shuteye: The body “shuts” down when you go on stress overdrive. Get sleep and eat less.
12. Happy Hour Power: there are low call, low carb beers and wines, and even “Skinny” brands of many beverages. Restaurants can “slim” down your drink with “Diet Tonic.”
13. HALT in the name of chub. Emotional eating (and drinking) is a caloric pitfall. We eat more when we are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.
14. Protein isn’t just for Rocky. Increase your lean daily protein by and feel more satisfied (pass the salmon!)
15. Say no to the Sample. A sample size is dangerous because it goes down so easy!
16. Your Plate is enough! Stop eating off of any one else’s dish (those fries are not for you and neither is the crust!)
17. Comfort is in the Cauliflower. Cut up extra veggies and and throw them in with everything!
18. Broth it up. A touch of oil is ok for sauté- but many of us over indulge without realizing vegetables soak up the oil like a sponge.
19. After Breakfast drink like a prisoner: Water only-soda, tea, iced coffees or drink, have an incredible amount of calories- water only after breakfast cans save you serious calories!
20. Sit down and savor the flavor: chewing is the easiest way to burn calories!
Andes Hruby is ConciergeQ's Fitness Correspondent and resident 'Fit Guru'. Look for much more fit fun from Andes, who is also a consultant on NBC, CT and owner/operator of Studio Blue Yoga.